Creating a group
Creating a Group
A group is a collection of accounts, contacts, or opportunities that share a specific condition or characteristic. Create a group when you want to work with a subset of records to print a report, or to send postal or electronic mail. An account, contact, or opportunity can be a member of more than one group, and groups can be shared among users.
Two types of groups
Dynamic group - based on a specific set of conditions; each time a group is opened, the accounts, contacts, or opportunities are re-evaluated using the defined conditions.
Ad hoc group - created when there is no clear set of conditions to define the current records selected for a group. Unlike a dynamic group, an ad hoc group is static, that is, the accounts, contacts, or opportunities remain the same unless the group is edited.
Creating a dynamic group
- Access the view in which you want to create a new group, and then click the Group Options icon and select Add Groups...
- The SalesLogix Query Builder - New Group window displays. Maximize this window.
- On the Properties tab (see above), enter a name, a display name, and a description. The display name can differ from the group name, and is not required. A description is not required. On the Conditions tab (see below), create one or more conditional statements to select data records. For this example, the group is all accounts created within the last 30 days. This group is dynamic, as the records change as new accounts are added and other accounts age beyond 30 days.
- In the top half of the Query Builder window, highlight the table Account, and then double-click the field Createdate. The Assign Conditions dialog box displays.
- In the Operator field, select within the last xxx days. In the Value is field, enter 30, and then click OK. The new condition displays on the Conditions tab (as shown in step 3, above).
- Use the Layout tab to define the columns of data to view. You may want to add a field to display the same information as in the conditions created for this group. In keeping with our example, highlight the table Account, and then highlight the field Createdate. Drag the field name into the layout tab between two existing columns. Rearrange columns in any order by clicking and dragging, and then delete any fields you do not want to view.
- Use the Sorting tab to select the field(s) upon which to sort in either ascending or descending order.
Use the Appearance tab to define font size and tab background color for this group.
Use the Defaults tab to enable the system to Return Distinct Rows when duplicate entries appear.
- Click OK when finished. The newly created tab and selected data display.
If the group needs more editing, right-click on the tab and select Edit Group...
Creating an ad hoc group
- From the accounts, contacts, or opportunities List view, highlight one or more records. Hold down the [Control] key to select individual records.
- Cautiously right-click one of the selected records, and then select Add selected members to new group... The SalesLogix Query Builder window displays (see step 2 of the procedure above).
- On the Properties tab, enter a name, a display name, and a description for the group. The display name can differ from the group name, and is not required. A description is not required.
- If needed, use the Layout, Sorting, Appearance, and/or Defaults tabs to customize the group. Click OK when you are done.